Welcome to the heart (and heat!) of summer! Hope you’re finding a way to stay cool at this time of year. Of course, we have some readers in the Southern Hemisphere, so to you we hope you’re staying cozy and warm!
For those north of the equator, there’s sunshine and heat all around us making the next month and a half great timing for stories about the swimming, hiking and all things in the #GreatOutdoors. Don’t forget about all the ideas using fresh, ripe fruits at this time of year, including peaches and watermelon.
When it comes to publicizing and marketing your book, you can make you subject timely again by tying into the calendar. In order to help you do that, here are some events coming up.
- American Adventures Month. This celebrates travel in North, South, and Central Americas
- Boomers Making a Difference Month. Dedicated to Baby Boomers making a difference
- Children’s Vision and Learning Month. Kids go back to school soon. Get their vision checked
- National Immunization Awareness Month. This is to raise awareness of immunizations but one could also tie into the controversy
- Read a Romance Month. If you have a romance novel…and/or a story celebrating summer nights and summer lovin’
- What Will Be Your Legacy Month. Reflect on past and present choices and vow to make positive ones for future generations
- Happiness Happens Month. Finding joy and happiness every day, even in the mundane.
August 1 – 7: International Clown Week. This week is to celebrate those who make us laugh. (Of course, some people are freaked out by clowns, so that in and of itself could be another story…)
If you are looking for a specific day to tie your book to, these may be appealing…
- National Night Out. Designed to heighten crime prevention awareness
- Girlfriend’s Day. Girlfriends get together and celebrated their special bonds
- Respect for Parents Day. Parents deserve and require respect the value they have in society
- World Lung Cancer Day. Unfortunately, Lung cancer continues to be one of the most common cancers worldwide, claiming more lives yearly than breast, colon and prostate cancers combined.
Friendship Day. A day set aside to celebrate all friendships and their importance in our lives
Fresh Breath Day. Created to appreciate oral hygiene and its importance (probably by a dentist)
Social Security Day. Anyone can fall on hard times. This day is to think about the more unfortunate members of society and do something for them
Relaxation Day. Take a day off from your daily routine, put your feet up and relax!
Men’s Grooming Day. Encourage men everywhere to proactively manage their appearance
Bad Poetry Day. Invite your friends over, compose some really rotten verse, and send it to your old high school English teacher
- Poet’s Day. A day for all poets to celebrate their special talents
- Senior Citizens Day. A day set aside to honor the contributions of senior citizens
- Women’s Equality Day. Commemorates the passage of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, granting the right to vote to women.
- National Dog Day. A day to celebrate dogs for all they do in our lives, the joy they bring us and the unconditional love they give us.
More Herbs, Less Salt Day. This one speaks for itself.
Can you tie your book and its message into any of the above special days? If so, you can become timely and newsworthy. Good luck!
To your success!
P.S. Oh, and remember. Back to School is just about here!
P.P.S. In honor of National Dog Day on August 26th, here’s a cute video.
P.P.S.S. Love the NonFiction Authors Association. Plus, they asked for my take on creating your email list. Thanks for including me!