I think I’m the only person I know who is not into setting goals. I hate the whole process of s.m.a.r.t. (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time-bound) goals because I find it just doesn’t work. In fact, it piles on added pressure that doesn’t need to be there. Pressure causes resistance and that’s a sure-fire way NOT to get something done. When you create a fight within yourself, you are going to lose. It just doesn’t work.
Yet, I get lots of things done. In fact, I’m not much of a procrastinator and I think it’s because I don’t put that unnecessary pressure on myself. I can get more done in a day than most of the people I see can get done in three. I say this not to brag, but to share that there is another way. A way that is a whole lot more fun too.
Here’s my little secret. It’s going to sound too easy, but sometimes the best nugget is a really small thing that you actually take to heart.
Here it is: Rather than looking at all I have to do on my “to do” list, I focus on all I am getting done as I work my way through it. (I know, I know, that’s it? Yes. And it makes a huge difference!) Seeing that you’re getting things done inspires you to do more.
You see, I’m busy saying nice things to myself because I got the first draft of that new speech written. I got the new podcast pitch for my client ready. I booked three interviews today. My teammates are getting wonderful things accomplished. Whatever it is, I am reminding myself how fantastic things are going, and it makes me yearn to do more. There. Simplistic? Yes. Does it work? YES!
As is true for many, as the end of a year draws near, I love to reflect on the past twelve months and highlight the successes. I spend some time relishing and celebrating those items and experiences so that I feel really good about the year. Those situations that weren’t so successful? They’re important too. I ask myself what I learned from the experiences and make sure they’re not repeated.
Then I look toward the next year. 2023 is here! It’s bright and shiny and new. What do I want to create and manifest during the next twelve months — and beyond? What do you want to create and manifest in 2023?
I’m going to share my own particular process that really works – not only for me, but for others I have shared it with. Feel free to use it or some part of it if it speaks to you. If nothing else, maybe it will inspire you to forget the goals and New Year Resolutions that cause resistance and pressure and try it a different way.
New Year UnGoals
First: Do Your review. As I mentioned above, review the past twelve months. How did you do? Have your calendar there or whatever will remind you of the many experiences you’ve had over the last year.
List your successes. Pick out and list all of your successes over the past year. This should make you feel good about all you have accomplished. Many people have the very bad habit of dwelling on and feeling bad about what didn’t work. Let. That. Go.
Celebrate. Really. Bask in the accomplishments. You deserve it. Not only is it important to celebrate during this review process, but during each and every day too. When you accomplish something, rather than just blowing past it and moving on to the next thing you have to do, take a moment in time to relish and celebrate the wins.
Now you’re ready to settle down into something else…
Meditate. Even if you don’t know what that is, do it. In fact, I hear a lot of people say in order to meditate you have to stop your thoughts. Well, if that was what you had to do, I would never do it either. Meditating should be fun. It should be relaxing and refreshing.
- Simply sit, relax, and bring yourself to the present moment. You should be feeling good about your review; Now it’s time to enjoy just being alive.
- Bring to mind all the things you are grateful for. You will have many things: Family, loved ones, your home, your work, your health, your wealth…what are you grateful for? Then just sit quietly. Your mind will continue to think, as it does. You can simply watch it thinking and doing its thing. You are the observer. It’s all OK. You really can’t do this wrong. The main objective is to relax and allow yourself to simply feel good.
- When you’re in the zone or in flow state, and you’ll know when you are because you feel good, then allow yourself to think about what you want. Not what you don’t want. This is another big secret or key: Move toward what you want…remain relaxed about it.
- Pay attention to what comes up into your awareness. I like to call these ideas “inspired thoughts and actions.” They come to you when you’re in an uplifted state. Ideas such as, “I really should call so-and-so today.” Or, “maybe now is the time to get started on that particular project.” “Today I’m going to begin working on…”
- Capture your inspired thoughts and actions. Have a pen and paper or record them into your phone but capture them. Don’t try to remember for later. This is how many fabulous ideas are lost. I have a mantra about that: “Your brain is for your brilliance; not remembering to buy kitty litter later today. Write it down.”
- Create a vision for the year. Again, what do you want? What is the big picture? What is it that you want for yourself? Your family? Your friends? Your community? The world? What is your part in it? What do you want for your book? Your message? Your purpose?
- Can you change the entire world? One of my clients, Rabbi Daniel Cohen, says, “You may not be able to change the entire world, but you can change one person’s world entirely.” Sometimes that’s with just a simple act of kindness.
- What can you do today to be a better person? Get better yourself. Get better inside. These things ripple out and have a bigger effect than we know. I find it very interesting how many say they want to change the world, but have a very difficult time changing themselves. It starts within each of us.
- Ask yourself what you would really love to do to promote your book and do that. The ideas that come to you while you’re in that relaxed, happy flow state are extra special. At the very least, you’re going to have more fun and my guess is you’re going to be much more successful than setting a bunch of really outrageous s.m.a.r.t. goals and then fighting with yourself to get them done.
- Feel gratitude. If your meditation and review process have brought you joy, feel grateful for it. This energy that you have created inside can now go out and benefit others. You can now go about your day from an inspired “in flow” place and you know it will have a bigger impact than anything else you can do.
- I am a manifestor. That’s what I say to myself. Maybe it will work for you, too. Try it. What can I manifest right now?
- Get busy. You know that list of inspired actions you wrote down? Time to make them happen.
Will you stay in that inspired flow state all day long? All year long? No. States of consciousness change, and in a world of huge contrast there will always be challenges. This is why it is important to make time every morning to go inside and plan your day, your year, and your life.
Imagine if you did this every day for a year. How would 2023 be for you?
To your success!
P.P.S. With plenty of inspired action, maybe it’s time for a strategy session for you and your book. You can set that up here. See you in 2023!
If you’d like to receive juicy publicity secrets directly on a regular basis, join the Savvy Sunday Community at the bottom of this page.