First of all, Happy Easter! Happy Passover! Happy Spring! Happy Sunday! However you celebrate, I hope you’re having a lovely weekend.
This week I have been thinking about more ways to promote our books, including TikTok.
Now, whether the thought of using TikTok is a no brainer and you love the idea, or the thought makes you want to run away screaming, “No, not another social platform,” I know you want to publicize, market, and sell books, right? So knowing the various options for doing so is a good thing, right?
TikTok is an incredibly popular social media platform that has taken the world by storm. It appeals to practically everyone, from kids to business owners and celebrities alike. Here are some of the most influential users of TikTok:
Influencers: Some of the biggest influencers out there use TikTok as a way to spread their message and engage with their followers. These include authors like:
- Seth Godin (@sethgodin): Seth is a best-selling author and entrepreneur who uses TikTok to share insights on marketing, business leadership, and creativity.
- Malcolm Gladwell (@malcolmgladwell): Malcolm is a renowned journalist and author who uses TikTok to discuss current events, offer advice to writers, and share insights into his own work.
- Isabel Wilkerson (@isabelwilkerson): Isabel is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author who uses TikTok to discuss issues of race, inequality, and social justice.
- Stephen J. Dubner (@freakonomics): Stephen is a co-author of the popular Freakonomics series, which explores the intersection of economics and everyday life. On TikTok, he shares insights on economics, politics, and cultural trends.
- Yuval Noah Harari (@yuval_noah_harari): Yuval is a historian, philosopher, and best-selling author who uses TikTok to discuss the evolution of humanity, the impact of technology, and the future of civilization.
Every type of genre and author is on TikTok, so to find your favorites, log on and do some searching.
Brands: Businesses of all sizes have caught on to the power of TikTok, using it to market their products and services in creative ways. From fashion giants like Nike and Adidas to smaller companies like Olay and Taco Bell—there’s no shortage of brands taking advantage of this platform.
Content Creators: Everyone from YouTubers and bloggers to authors are using TikTok as a new way to connect with fans and reach potential readers. Whether they’re sharing excerpts from their work or providing valuable advice, these creators have found success on this unique platform, and you can too.
If you are an aspiring author looking for new ways to market and sell your books, then this versatile platform can give you access to a huge audience, allowing you to promote your books in creative and fun ways. Here’s a guide on how to get started:
- Create a professional profile. Showcase your work by including book covers, trailers, and samples of your writing. Make sure to include relevant hashtags so people can easily find you when they search.
- Upload short videos featuring snippets from your books. Whether it’s a one-minute excerpt or thirty-second soundbite, these clips will help pique the interest of potential readers. Plus, it doesn’t take long to make them!
- Participate in hashtag challenges. Take advantage of popular hashtag challenges like #BookFaceFriday and #ShelfieSaturday—these will help spread the word about your books quickly and easily.
- Host giveaways and contests for readers who engage with your content. You can also partner with other authors or influencers on the platform to cross-promote your work.
- Remember behind-the-scenes content. People love seeing what life is like as an author, so be sure to post updates that offer glimpses into the writing process or any other interesting tidbits related to your work.
- Look up and use the hashtag #Booktok when you’re on the app. BookTok is a term used to refer to the bookish community. The trend started when book lovers began sharing short videos of themselves discussing and reviewing books, creating book recommendations, and sharing their favorite book quotes. You will fit there beautifully.
BookTok has become popular for promoting and discovering new books, with readers using hashtags like #booktok, #bookreview, and #bookrecommendations to engage with others who share their passion for reading. Some popular BookTok videos include book hauls, bookshelf tours, and “bookstagram”-style photos, as well as comedic and relatable skits about bookworm struggles, book-to-movie adaptations, and general bookish humor. BookTok has been credited with helping to boost book sales for both new and established authors, making it a valuable platform for writers and publishers looking to reach new readers.
Whether you’re looking for inspiration from other authors, or you’re ready to deliver some of your own great content, remember to look at TikTok as something new and fun to learn and experiment with using. Going into it with that attitude makes learning a whole lot more fun.
To your success!
P.S. I’m having a great time promoting Media Darling: Shine Through Every Interview via podcasts! Podcasts are a great way to get your message out there to an audience that is perfect for you. This interview is with Carla King of the Nonfiction Authors Association. We had a great time discussing what producers look for and how you can increase your chances of getting booked on podcasts.
If you’d like to receive juicy publicity secrets directly on a regular basis, join the Savvy Sunday Community at the bottom of this page.