Summer officially began with the Summer Solstice on June 21, and it’s now almost the Fourth of July. What comes to mind when one thinks of July? Let’s see…BBQ’s, mosquitoes (and how to get rid of them), sun screen, boating on the lake, river or ocean, and summer vacations!
Here are some other memorable events in July, which you may be able to tie your book to and make it newsworthy. Let’s explore:
[bullet_block large_icon=”21.png” width=”” alignment=”center”]
- Canada Day on July 1. Hat tip to our Canadian friends
- National Grilling Month
- National Hot Dog Month (Other foods being celebrated include watermelon, ice cream, and horseradish)
- Bereaved Parents Awareness Month
- Second Half of the New Year Month
- Get Ready for Kindergarten Month
- Cell Phone Courtesy Month (Pay attention to surroundings and those around you)
- National Herbal/Prescription Interaction Awareness Month
- International Zine Month (Celebrated self and small press culture)
- First US Postage Stamps Issued on July 1, 1847
- First Television Broadcast, July 1, 1941)
- National “Dog House Repairs” Month
And, July 1 is International Cherry Pit Spitting Championship Day. Here’s the winner from last year.
As you look at the list above, there are many books that could tie into these topics, including: grilling and BBQ, cell phone etiquette, parents who have lost children, and the publishing industry and media.
If you can tie your book into one of these topics, or any current news coverage, chances are very good you can make your book timely again. As I’ve often said, media is always asking, Why You, Why Now? You have to be able to answer that question.
And, of course, in the US, Independence Day is on July Fourth. In honor of that, this is one of my favorites! It captures what America is supposed to be about.
To your success!
P.S. I’m really happy about this article being published, so in case you missed it before, here it is again.
P.P.S. If you know anyone who can benefit from our Savvy Sunday News, please share this link with them. The more the merrier. My mission is to help authors!